What results am I getting?
The results I am really liking – there is some really good stuff in this little lot. All the images were taken with my Canon 6D on my Manfrotto tripod. That is the gear talk out of the way!
To date I have produced 33 images, and of the 116 images selected (it was originally 131 images but some have fallen by the wayside as expected).
I knew this would happen.
Groups of images
I have been working on groups of images taken at the same time. I want images taken at the same time to look like they were taken at the same time, which is giving me nice small cohesive sets of images.
The images are taking a lot longer to produce, but I am fine with this as long as I assign time every morning to this, and stick with it. It has been nice knowing that I have some more images to work on, and I have enjoyed the process a lot, which I knew I would.
Apart from other stuff getting in the way that is. Which is a recurring problem.
How many images will I end up with?
It is looking like I will end up with circa 100 images, slightly more than I expected originally. Currently I have 116 pictures of Santorini in the Picks folder in Lightroom, but expect this to reduce as I go though the editing process.
How am I editing my images?
This is what I wanted to write about. This is the point of this post.
This is the approach that I have taken for my processing to date, and is the same approach I will take with the rest of the images that I have yet to process. Any variations from this I will write about in a further post.
My processing has followed the commercial workflow in the following sequence - for each and every image this is the order I go through
- White balance
- Basic panel
- HSL Panel
- Effects panel
- Local adjustments
- Cleaning in Photoshop
I will expand on each in turn.
Lets not forget what I have done to date
I must not forget that I wrote about the HDR Merge process in Lightroom in the previous post, so this is from the starting point of working on a new .dng file, created as described before.
One of the things I have applied here is Auto tone, which appears to be different from previous versions of Lightroom, where contrast and vibrance were not altered, as far as I can remember.
I have to check these on each image, which is a bit of a pain, but something I have worked into my processing workflow.
This is the step by step process of how I process my Santorini images in Lightroom.
I always start with white balance. I want the colours to be correct to start with. And changes to the white balance can affect the exposure in subtle ways. I adjust the white balance of every image without fail, using the variety of tools available in Lightroom.
I use either the white balance pre-sets, which for these images are typically Daylight, Cloudy and Shade, or the custom white balance. Custom white balance sounds difficult but is dead easy to do – all you do is select the eyedropper tool and click on a part of the image, which has either a neutral grey or white. It really is that simple.
And if the white balance is exactly the same to a number of images I can simply copy and paste from one image to the others.
White Balance done, my colours are correct, time to refine the content of the image.
I retain the 3*2 format of the image, or 2*3 if it is landscape. I rarely vary from the standard image ratios my Canon 6D produces. II however will crop from landscape to portrait and vice verse if it makes sense to an image.
Cropping is an essential part of image processing for me, and is a chance for me to quickly consider the composition, and see if I want to get rid of some of an image. I want to do this before spending time on processing, as I might be spending time on something that I later remove, which is wasting my time!
The crop tool is dead simple in Lightroom, just select the tool and drag the edges however you want them.